Members of parliament are asking for urgent action to reverse the downward trend over the last three years in living kidney donation in the UK. The All Party Parliamentary Kidney Group (APPKG) has published a Manifesto to outline actions which need to be taken to address the reduction in living kidney donation from 1148 in 2013/14 to 1043 in 2016/17; which is a reduction of nearly 9%.
Madeleine Moon MP, Chair of the APPKG said:
“We are today setting out clear recommendations on actions which need to be taken to reverse this downward trend in living kidney donation. The Secretary of State, NHS England, NHS Blood and Transplant and the kidney community need to give greater priority to living kidney donation. Living kidney transplants generally last longer and, compared to the cost of dialysis, result in significant savings to the NHS. The APPKG recognises the excellent work in living kidney donation taking place in some areas and wishes to encourage such practice throughout the UK.”
The recommendations set out in the Manifesto include:
- Reviewing the strategic responsibility and accountability for living kidney donation in England
- Using the new tariff for living donation as a lever to address unexplained variation in living kidney donation among transplant centres
- Establishing a national benchmark for completing the “work up” process for potential living donors
- Publicising the long term financial benefits of increasing living kidney transplantation
- Developing a strategy for supporting kidney patients in finding potential living kidney donors
We need to do more to increase awareness about living kidney donation because 48% of the population do not know that living kidney donation is possible. The APPKG is requesting positive responses to all of its recommendations in the next six months so that we can do all we can to reach the 2020 national target for living kidney donation set by the four UK governments.
You can read the full Manifesto here: https://www.kidney.org.uk/assets/Uploads/documents/All-Party-Parliamentary-Kidney-Group/NKF-manifesto.pdf